"You have not lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you."
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give."
To be a mentor is one of the highest callings. You are looked up to, admired, respected. You give guidance; you lead by example. You have a chance to make a difference in the life of another human being who will carry on your values.
As a mentor, you will be expected to give of yourself. You will be expected to answer questions and give advice. This is a one-year commitment, renewable for life.
What is in it for the mentor? No pay, no time off, no public accolades. Just the overwhelming satisfaction of knowing you have made a difference where it really counts: in the future of the profession which has been so good to you.
ACOI Mentoring Program Goals
The ACOI Mentoring Program was created in 2001 under the leadership of then-President Karen J. Nichols, DO, with these goals:
- To increase the percentage of DO students entering internal medicine;
- To increase the percentage of DO students in osteopathic internal medicine programs; and
- To increase the percentage of graduating residents in DO and MD internal medicine programs who become active participants in the family of osteopathic internal medicine.
"The Pocket Mentor"
- What is Osteopathic Internal Medicine?
- Mission, Vision & Values
- The Pocket Mentor - Mentor Version
- The Pocket Mentor - "Mentee" Version
To become an ACOI Mentor or "Mentee", please download* and complete the appropriate application form and fax it to ACOI at 301 231-8877, or provide the requested information in an email to Brian J. Donadio, Executive Director.
*Requires Adobe Acrobat. (Free download)