The information provided here applies to Medicare coding. Be sure to check with your Medicare Administrative Contractor (MAC) for additional information and clarification on these and other items. You should also contact your local insurance carriers to determine if private insurers follow Medicare's lead on all coding matters.
February is American Heart Month
February is American Heart Month. Cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death for men and women in the United States. Medicare provides benefits for Medicare beneficiaries who meet certain eligibility criteria. Utilization of these benefits can help identify risk factors and provide Medicare patients with tools to help them make heart-healthy lifestyle changes. The following benefits may be of assistance to your patients and promote your efforts to provide high-quality care:
- Initial preventive physical exam (“Welcome to Medicare” preventative exam)
- Annual wellness visit providing personalized preventive plan services
- Cardiovascular disease screening blood tests (total cholesterol, high-density lipoproteins, and triglycerides tests)
- Diabetes screening
- Intensive behavioral therapy for cardiovascular disease
- Intensive behavioral therapy for obesity, and
- Tobacco-use cessation counseling services
Additional information on coverage, coding, and billing on these and other preventative services are available at www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Medicare-Learning-Network-MLN/MLNProducts/PreventiveServices.html.