Committee on Minority Health and Cultural Competency
Charge of the ACOI Committee on Minority Health and Cultural Competency
The purposes of the Committee on Minority Health and Cultural Competency are:
- To determine whether the College appropriately addresses issues related to underserved minority populations in its continuing medical education and graduate medical education programs;
- To discuss areas in which the College may wish to create policy statements and provide advocacy regarding minority health and cultural competency;
- To identify individuals to fill key positions in ACOI committees in order to increase opportunities for minority participation in the leadership of the College;
- To improve diversity in the pool of individuals recruited to careers in internal medicine; and
- To disseminate information regarding the impact of cultural differences on health care provision and outcomes.
2. Membership and Terms of Service
The Committee on Minority Health and Cultural Competency shall consist of the following members:
- A chair, appointed by the President. The chair may or may not be a member of the Board of Directors;
- Up to nine members selected from the Active membership of the College;
- At least one internal medicine resident or subspecialty fellow.
The Committee on Minority Health and Cultural Competency reports to the Board of Directors at its semiannual meetings. Regular reports shall be presented by the chair to the Executive Committee. The Committee shall meet regularly by telephone conference.
4. Responsible Staff Person
The Executive Director shall designate appropriate staff to assist the Committee on Minority Health and Cultural Competency in its work throughout the year.
5. Self-Evaluation Plan
The members of the Committee on Minority Health and Cultural Competency shall conduct a written self-study evaluation of the Committee’s performance on an annual basis. This evaluation shall include:
- resource provision
The same areas will be assessed by the ACOI staff person assigned to this Committee. The Committee shall discuss openly its strengths and weaknesses for purposes of continuous improvement.